Wednesday 12 November 2014

University Application Tips

Hello all! I haven't posted in a while, and even though it's not much of an excuse I've had a lot of college work and university applying to do recently and that sort of stuff really stresses me out to the point where I literally can't bring myself to do anything productive. However, I have finally handed in my application so I thought I would give you a few little tips on applying to uni.

Choosing a Course

  1. DO YOUR RESEARCH! I cannot stress this enough. Research the courses you want to take until you feel like you couldn't possibly know any more.
  2. DO WHAT YOU LOVE! Someone tells you you can't? Show them you can! They tell you it's too hard? Make it look easy! They tell you what you want to do is pointless/won't get you anywhere/the chances of 'making it' are one in a million? Who are they to tell you, you wont make it. If you're passionate enough about something do it, take that risk. Because if you don't you will live the rest of you life with the big 'WHAT IF?'
  3. DO USE THE STUDENT ROOM! The Student Room if an online forum where people can post and answer questions on anything and everything to do with being a student. You can see what others have said about their experiences doing the course you're thinking of doing.
  4. DO LOOK ON UNIVERSITY WEBSITES! Often universities will have a whole section of their website dedicated to the course you're thinking of doing. Most of the time they'll have an overview of the course and they may even list the modules in the course. This is a great way to get a rough idea of what the course will be like.
  5. DO USE YOUTUBE! A lot of universities now use youtube to advertise themselves and the courses they offer and sometimes you can even find an ex-student talking about their experiences on the course. If you're doing a subject like media, you may also be able to find work that past students have done as part of their course.
  6. DO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OPEN DAYS! When I was applying for university no one ever really encouraged me to attend an open day and no one ever told me just how beneficial they were. Even if you're short on money try and go to at least one open day. Often there will be subject talks and tours where you can get a real sense of the course, the place and the lecturers. People often base their final decisions on open days, I visited one university that looked amazing on paper but I quickly found out that it wasn't for me when I visited. You may love it or you may hate it, but you'll never know until you actually experience it.
  7. DO NOT LISTEN TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS! They are not the ones who have to live with this decision, you are! Make sure whatever you do, you do for you and not them.
  8. DO NOT STRESS if you're not sure of what to study. Just ask yourself: What do I like to do? What am I good at? And then do it! You are going to be spending 3/4 years of your life on your chosen course, you don't want to spend that time hating it, and then hating the career you get out of it.


coming soon
Choosing a Uni
The Application
Personal Statement
What Now?

No comments:

Post a Comment